The Concord Players
A Profile of the Concord Players, Inc.
The Concord Players trace their history to 1856 and the Concord Dramatic Union, which Louisa May Alcott helped to found. In 1872, the Union became the Concord Dramatic Club, and, ultimately, in 1919, the Concord Players. In 1921, the Players added the stage with fly space, scene dock, storage facilities, and Green Room to the town-owned building at 51 Walden Street, then used also as an armory.
In 1972, the Players joined with the Concord Orchestra and the Concord Band to form the Friends of the Performing Arts in Concord (FOPAC), and the town of Concord agreed to allow this organization to refurbish 51 Walden as a performing arts center. In addition to a music stage for the band and orchestra, a ballet studio was built to house day and evening classes for both children and adults. In 1975, 51 Walden was designated as a “Permanent Bicentennial Memorial.”
The Concord Players’ membership is approximately 400. The subscription fluctuates from 600- 800. A constant effort is made to increase new membership and to widen our audience. Four social events throughout the year, plus trips to other theatres via “The Showbus,” encourage member participation. Subscribers have been treated to “extras” such as free performances of one-act plays or new scripts.
The Players make every effort to reach out to a broad following. Tryouts for Concord Players’ shows are widely publicized and open to all. With a variety of abilities and tastes in mind, a Play/Director Selection Committee works a year ahead of each season to choose a balanced slate of plays. The Committee matches the best directors available to these plays.
51 Walden St. Concord, MA 01742